Sunday, June 17, 2012

TUNGO SA PAGBABAGO, PARA SA PAGBABAGO

Disclaimer: This is kinda long. Please bear with me. Hehe.

Last Friday, I found myself exchanging ideas on air with Baby China and Professor J in Radio Veritas "Nation Builders" program. As the Spokesperson of the Philippine Marine Corps, I have already done a number of radio interviews before but what makes the Radio Veritas guesting a little more exciting was the fact that I was conscious that this time around, I am armed with deeper insights from my DEVC courses. I thought to myself, "Let's see what you have learned, Marine."

I arrived an hour earlier in the radio station. I was informed that the program would be a "kuwentuhan" of the contributions of the Philippine Marine Corps to nation building. I was like OMG! This is really IT! This is going to be my kind of show.

The program began with the airing of HANGAD KO, the first song I did for the Marine Corps. The anchors asked what inspired me in writing the song. I told them about the story of heroism of our Marines who recovered an Abu Sayyaf lair in Sulu but cost us seven Marines who paid the ultimate sacrifice. The anchors took note of the heroism and sacrifices of our troops as something that the public do not seem to understand. Worse, they were thinking that the people underestimate or are apathetic to what the armed forces contribute to nation building. At the end, they commented, "kawawa naman ang tropa".

In many of my previous guestings, the some anchors have given the same comments and sentiments. But hey, it's not what I want to happen. My intent in telling the stories of the Marines was not to win the "pity" of our listeners. We already know that our sacrifices are integral to our sworn duty and we have embraced that to happen anytime. We don't need the pity of the people we serve. We do our part of the mission with whole heart and soul.

This is what I want: that the public will be informed of the reality and futility of armed conflict. I wanted our people to understand that the problems of our country, such as security threats, which bring forth many other problems, cannot be accomplished by the military alone; that the way to peace and development is a whole-nation approach.

I wanted our listeners to understand that there is no insignificant role towards peace and development. Every Filipino, no matter how big or small his part is, must be committed to that role. As good citizens, let us obey traffic rules, pay our taxes honestly and promptly, dispose our garbage properly, study hard, vote wisely, do not smoke. We all look at the many bigger things to do, but the small things are left undone and disregarded repeatedly. When in the little stuffs we are found faithful, then the heavens can entrust us with greater ones. As community builders, let us season our craft with passion. Let us not be limited by resources and recognition. The important thing is we know our job, we do it and we do it well. Someday, in God's time, everything will pay off beautifully. Maybe not in our generation but who cares? Let our children enjoy the fruits of everything that we do today.

Yes, the interview went that way. I didn't expect that the "kuwentuhan" of the significant contributions of the Marine Corps would turn out to be a "kuwentuhan" with one Marine who wishes for good change to happen and advocates for this change to begin in one's self. That tempting opportunity to brag about organizational accomplishments turned out to be a cry for change.

I guess the interview tells me that I have internalized so much the most important learning I gained from Module 1 -- that my eyes are opened to the realities of life and the society we live in, encompassing all problems and changes in pursuit of that "quality life" that each one of us longs for and deserves to have. These realities humbled me from projecting the pride of accomplishments. These realities moved me to work in the premise of sincerity, passion and endurance. These realities convinced me that I can do something more for the good of humankind. I intend to use these learning each time I prepare a Communication Plan or a Public Affairs Guidance for the Marine Corps.

I cannot end this post without a song to share. I heard Noel Cabangon's TUNGO SA PAGBABAGO, PARA SA PAGBABAGO for the first time during the Inauguration of President Aquino. Since then, it has always been an inspiration. It is like Mr. Cabangon was inside my heart and penned this song on my behalf. I like singing it to myself over and over. Maybe we can all sing it together and start making things happen.^^


https://www.facebook.com/philippinemarinecorps


Tungo sa Pagbabago, Para sa Pagbabago
Noel Cabangon

Youtube - Tungo sa Pagbabago, Para sa Pagbabago

Lumingon sa ‘yong paligid
Buksan ang mata’t isip
At iyong makikita
Kay daming batang lansangan
Bahay na nagsisiksikan
‘Di tiyak ang kinabukasan

Bakit mayayaman lang
ang lalong yumayaman
At ang karamihan
Labis ang kahirapan

Dapat na tayong lumaya sa kawalan
Iwaksi ang katiwalian
Katotohanan ay ipaglaban
Tayo’y kumilos na!

Koro:
Tungo sa pagbabago
Para sa pagbabago
Ngayon na, ngayon na!
Tungo sa pagbabago
Para sa pagbabago
Bayan ko, ngayon na!

Tulay:
Ang pagbabagong nais mo sa ‘ting bayan
Sa sarili ay dapat nang simulan
Dapat ipakita na kaya nating mabuhay
Nang marangal, matapat, mapagmahal at mahusay
Kaya’t kumilos na!

(Repeat Chorus)

Rap:
Ang bawat bata’y dapat nasa eskwela
Nang kinabukasan ay may pag-asa
Trabaho at bahay sa bawat Pilipino
Nang paglikas ay unti-unting mahinto
Yaman ng bayan ay dapat pakinabangan
Ng buong bayan at ‘di lamang ng iilan
Dagat, bundok, ilog, patag at kagubatan
Gawing ligtas at kapakipakinabang
Ang katarungan ay dapat mamayani
Mayaman ka man o mahirap na uri
Utang ng bayan na baya’y ‘di nakinabang
Dapat nang putulin at huwag nang bayaran
Karapatan ay dapat igalang
Karahasan ay huwag pahintulutan
Digmaan ay dapat  lunasan
Kaunlaran, kapayapaan, pagkakaisa
At wastong pamamahala ng pamahalaan

https://www.facebook.com/philippinemarinecorps

No comments:

Post a Comment